West Coast Hemp Webinar: Regulation, Insurance, and Compliance
Join the National Center for Appropriate Technology for a free Zoom West Coast Hemp webinar Thursday, November 4 at 11:00 a.m. PST as we as we explore hemp regulation, compliance, and insurance options on the west coast.
We will be discussing:
- Federal regulation
- The future of federal regulation, standardization, and plant breeding
- California and Oregon’s current regulatory climate
- How to obtain licenses
- Seed selection for maintaining compliance, and how to find trustworthy seed sources
- Hemp crop insurance options
Registration is free.
Our Expert West Coast Hemp Webinar Panel:
- Courtney Moran, LL.M.: Courntney is the founding principal of EARTH Law, LLC and is a leading expert on hemp law, championing legal policy for a sustainable Cannabis hemp industry. She litigated the landmark case KaB, LLC v USPIS, MLB 18-39 (2018) establishing precedent for the shipment of hemp through the US Postal Service. Playing a key role in drafting and negotiating the language included in the 2018 Farm Bill federally legalizing hemp, Moran is a sought-after attorney, lobbyist, and speaker. Her forward-thinking leadership and deep knowledge of Hemp and Hemp Law makes Moran one of the true experts in the field. Courtney has always been passionate about agricultural and environmental advocacy. She founded EARTH Law, LLC with the goal of lifting the federal ban on hemp in the United States, which was accomplished by the 2018 Federal Farm Bill passage.
- Zev Paiss: Zev began his involvement with industrial hemp in late 2012 shortly after Colorado became the first state to fully allow farmers to grow this versatile crop. He was the founding Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Hemp Association and then the National Hemp Association, from 2013 to the end of 2016. He has developed a national network of farmers, extractors, processors, equipment manufacturers, testing laboratories, investors, hemp organizations, and buyers of hemp products. Zev serves as an active advisor to farmers, processors, and organizations, including Rhizo Verified, Agricultural Claims Association, the Texas Hemp Harvesters Association, and as a hemp Subject Matter Expert to the Family Farm Group. He is the co-creator of RAWmarketplace, the largest and most active hemp-only marketplace in the world, and is the founder of Herb-a-lites. He is also the Chair for the Hemp Industry Association Fiber Council and supports the needs of members involved in all aspects of growing, processing and manufacturing finished hemp fiber and hurd products. He has been the Chief Operating Officer of Abraham Paiss & Associates, Inc., a sustainably focused agency supporting an increasing sustainable future, since 1996.
- Jeff Schahczenski: Jeff is an Agricultural and Natural Resource Economist at NCAT, and his work focuses on education on crop insurance, conservation, national agriculture public policy, transgenics (genetically-modified organisms), blockchain agriculture supply-chain management, soil health, biochar, and the role of agriculture in climate disruption. He was a past elected member of the Organizational Council of the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, past Executive Director of the Big Hole River Foundation and the Western Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (WSAWG), and past adjunct instructor at Montana Technological University, Montana Western University, the University of Montana. Jeff has built his own strawbale house and greenhouse. He raises poultry and is has been a commercial beekeeper. Before moving to Montana in 1991, Jeff worked for Rutgers University, started one of the first CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farms in New Jersey, received graduate degrees in agricultural economics and political science, served in the Peace Corps in Belize, Central America, and worked many summers on his grandfather’s dairy farm in Wisconsin.