2022 Internship with housing at Slice of Heaven Farm in Sandy, Oregon.
Do you want to reconnect with nature and learn the crucial skills of growing your own food? Think you want to be a farmer? Experience a full season on our farm and truly see what it takes to be a market farmer and run a farm. A season at Slice of Heaven Farm is a unique and memorable experience.
Position dates: April 1st, 2022 to October 31st, 2022
Small farming is revolutionary work. If that statement doesn’t speak to you in some way, our internship is not for you.
Compensation: A private room on our farm with a communal kitchen and bathroom. A monthly stipend of $800. Home cooked lunch/dinner provided for you on most farm workdays. Fresh weekly vegetables from the farm.
Slice of Heaven Farm: We are a husband and wife team here at Slice of Heaven Farm in beautiful Sandy, Oregon. We are entering our 10th farming season. We chose to become farmers as an active protest against Big Ag and to counteract the continuous flood of toxins in our food supply. We use sustainable organic farming practices to grow our vegetables and are on a mission to help bring healthy, safe, and delicious food to our mountain community. Our goal is to have the most nutritious and beautiful vegetables around and continuously please our loyal customers. We run a 130-member CSA and do two local farmers markets. Farming is our way of life and while it is a constant challenge and grueling work, it is endlessly rewarding to grow the best vegetables around and feed families in our community!
Internship description: Work on the farm 5 days a week. Tasks will include seeding, field prep, transplanting, harvesting, cultivating and weeding, processing vegetables, packing vegetables and setting up and selling at farmers’ market.
We consider our internship to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Our internship is better than going to school for farming because it is a fully hands-on experience, and you will be 100% immersed in the daily and seasonal workings of a real farm. We have a demanding high energy working environment that is also extremely fun, enlightening and rewarding. We work very hard throughout the season but we also enjoy many meaningful homegrown meals and celebrations together. You will leave our farm with a great appreciation for the work that farmers do and lifelong memories.
- NO COVID VACCINE REQUIREMENT-
- You don’t need previous farming experience for this position, but you do need to want to learn, work hard and want to fully experience farm life.
- 21+ years old
- No tobacco use of any kind
- Have a reliable vehicle
- Physical ability to work hard
- BE A HARD WORKER. That is number one. If you don’t have stamina, can’t work long or early hours, can’t work in the cold, the rain, the heat or the mud, you won’t be the right fit for our farm.
- HAVE GRIT AND PASSION. We are looking for someone with a true passion for learning how to grow vegetables and who may one day start their own farm. Someone who is willing to dive in head-first to see what farming is all about. Someone with the mental fortitude to tough it out during difficult times.
- BE ADAPTABLE. Be able to follow directions, willing and open to learning, and once trained, be able to be self-directed.
- BE DYNAMIC AND FRIENDLY. Have a kind and respectful disposition towards customers. Our customers are the reason we farm. We aim to make a positive lasting impression on all our customers and exceed their expectations.
- BE PHYSICALLY ABLE. The applicant must be able to lift 50 lbs easily and be able to squat/crouch/bend over for periods of harvesting.
- BE PART OF THE TEAM AND VISION. We are a tight-knit family on our farm and besides working hard together, we enjoy each other’s companionship and sit down together for bountiful meals. We strive towards the common goal of having the BEST vegetables in our area and pleasing our customers.
- If you do not like cats or children, our farm will not be the right fit for you.
Note: we cannot accommodate your pet on our farm unfortunately.
If interested, please visit our website
The Slice of Heaven Farm internship application period will close January 31st, 2022. This is a rolling application period. The position may be filled before the application period ends.
Based on your application, we will make a preliminary determination if you are a fit for our farm and then award interviews. Please complete your application as thoroughly as possible. We aim to select the best fit for our small farm: someone who seems to have the ability and grit for the position and someone who will transition well into our family environment.
If you seem like a good fit, we will contact you to schedule a zoom interview.