Field Manager Job at Sola Gratia Farm in Urbana, Illinois – 2022
Sola Gratia Farm Field Manager Job:
seeks a Field Manager for our 15 acre not-for-profit community vegetable farm. Experience working on a CSA farm or vegetable farm that follows organic practices in the Midwest is important. Experience with a wide range of equipment is preferred as the farm’s infrastructure includes a greenhouse, two high-tunnel hoophouses, wash/pack shed, three walk-in coolers, water well and irrigation system, a storage building, a seed drill, a cultivating tractor, two medium-sized tractors and a BCS walking tractor, each with a wide range of implements and various other pieces of equipment and tools. A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record is a must. Preference is given to candidates who have expertise and experience working at comparable farm operations. Also important is the ability to work effectively with a Board of Directors, managing teams of staff and volunteers, maintaining a focus on the farm mission and achieving CSA, retail, wholesale and food donation goals.
Sola Gratia is unique in many ways. We are a community mission-based farm started by St. Matthew Lutheran Church, dedicated to producing locally-grown, high-quality produce following organic practices. The farm is committed to helping those who lack adequate food resources by donating at least ten percent of our product to support regional hunger programs, such as Eastern Illinois Foodbank, Mobile Market, Daily Bread Soup Kitchen, Jubilee Cafe and our free market. We grow a wide range of produce to support our 200 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, three farmers markets and several retail and wholesale clients. We operate a robust volunteer program and have many established and active community partnerships. The Farm promotes healthy lifestyles and community building through volunteering and service, special events and outreach and education programs.
The Field Manager will work closely with the Sola Gratia Farm Manager and Director. The responsibilities include:
- assist in execution of a yearly organic vegetable crop rotation plan including cover crops; planting, weeding, watering, managing fertilizers, pesticides and other inputs, and harvesting produce;
- oversight and management of seasonal staff, volunteers, seasonal interns and being hands on the ground, as directed by Farm Manager, for most of the season;
- consult with Farm Manager on daily harvest numbers and quality;
- keep time records for field activities;
- co-management of irrigation system and schedule;
- operate field equipment including tractors and implements;
- manage inventory and care of harvest and field tools;
- manage compost;
- assist in promotion of the farm at farmers markets, farm activities, and community events;
- assist Farm Manager in training of crew members.
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Start date: Feb 2022
*This is an 11 month full-time position from early February through end of December.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply for the Field Manager Job
Send cover letter and resume no later than close of business November 29, 2019 to Traci Barkley, Sola Gratia Farm, 2200 S. Philo Rd., Urbana, IL 61802 or electronically to 速蛙云流量怎么用:firstname.lastname@example.org. Early applications encouraged. Call 217-367-1189 with any questions.